I have never loved water so much in my entire life as I do right now. And that’s tough! ~because I learned to swim in my Red Cross lessons when I was six, I adored Lake Erie and the Atlantic Ocean by age seven, I taught swimming lessons at our local community pool by the time I was a teenager, and by age seventeen I had acquired my Red Cross Life Guard certification. I was known as a “fish”, and spent long summer days swimming in the above-ground family pool, happy as the proverbial clam. But it was not until October 2010 when i saw the documentary GASLAND by Josh Fox, and learned that safe and clean water supplies were under siege in over thirty states, including my own home state of Pennsylvania, due to an unconventional natural gas extraction method known as “fracking”, that i became a clean water activist. I was born in Pittsburgh, a city situated at the confluence of three rivers– the Ohio, the Monongahela, and the Allegheny. I once heard the claim in a documentary about the “secrets” of water that your blood recognizes the vibrational signature of the water in the place you were born; and I swear: the last time I was in Pittsburgh and drove parallel to the Allegheny as it approached the three rivers point, I felt a very expansive and magical feeling come over my body, as if I were resonating like some kind of spiritual tuning fork, and I intuited that it was true.
All my favorite dreams are of fresh, pure water– truly magnificent visions of pools and falls grand beyond my waking imagination– which spill into beautiful bays….I wake up SOOOOOO happy!!!! All my spare time excursions involve clean water– Glen Onoko Falls, Taughannock Falls, Fallingwater– nothing refreshes my soul the way a visit to water does!! I get so emotional just to be near any river– I feel my heart magnetism overflow with love!!!
Enjoy a 30 second video of gratitude for the Lehigh and Delaware Rivers that I took on Earth Day:
What breaks my heart and haunts me night and day is that families are living without safe drinking water in their homes due to shale gas drilling– and there are cases across many states, including Wyoming, Texas, West Virginia, and Pennsylvania, just to name a few!!! Many people need help, but I made up my mind to focus Safe Water Society on spotlighting and advocating for Marcellus Shale regional families as part and parcel of my volunteer work running Lehigh Valley Gas Truth from Bethlehem, PA. I have a companion Facebook page for Safe Water Society where I focus on negatively affected Macellus shale families coping without water, water safety and appreciation, and the conscious qualities of water molecules as documented by Masaru Emoto.
The most egregious cases of families living without clean water are those who have been abandoned by both drilling corporations as well as DEP. There are certain cases where water wells have gone bad, well casings in the area were PROVEN to be unsound, and the corporation presumably at fault was actually delivering clean water to “water buffaloes” at family homes to “be a good neighbor”, when suddenly the DEP claimed that testing showed that the wells were “SAFE”, and the corporations announced in late February that they would no longer be delivering clean replacement water; and yet, as in the case of Kim McEvoy for example, water was still running black and purple and brown! Never mind~ Rex Energy of State College denies liability and DEP claims that their careful studies show no contamination. Kim begs to differ! Many families sign non-disclosure agreements in order to be compensated for damages, have methane-venting and purification systems installed, but the worst cases are like Kim’s, when the company drilling nearby denies responsibility, and the PA Department of Environmental Protection takes the side of the drillers rather than the families in need! Kim McEvoy and her tap water were even featured online in a photo essay posted by The Atlantic for World Water Day. Her photo is number seventeen~ THANKS, Governor Corbett!
My fellow fracktivist and friend Maria Payan of Peachbottom Concerned Citizens was visiting Sherry Vargson in Bradford County and filmed her lighting her water on fire EVEN AFTER a methane-venting apparatus was installed to treat her contaminated water. What a shame that even the efforts of the drillers responsible for the contamination to remediate their damage…FAILED! Watch a video of Sherry lighting her water on fire taken by Maria during her visit:
Please help spread water awareness by subscribing to my blog, sharing it on your social networks, and telling your friends, neighbors, and family about the fact that people are living without water due to shale gas drilling. Thank-you!